Loftin | Bedell P.C.
Legal Question? We can help.
Call 760-814-9649

Out of State or Country Assets in Your California Trust

Can out of State assets be held in your California Trust? A Living Trust, a common Estate Planning tool,  created for a California resident is typically created under the laws of California, unless otherwise advisable. This raises the question as to whether or not that Trust can only hold your assets owned in California, or whether it can hold your assets owned elsewhere. Fortunately, owning property in different states does not necessitate having a different Trust in each state.

A Revocable Living Trust can hold all real, personal, tangible, and intangible property located in the United States, whether acquired before or after the execution of the Trust. For example, if your permanent residence is in Carlsbad, but you later acquire an investment property in New York, you are able to transfer both the Carlsbad and New York properties to your California Trust.

However, if an asset is owned outside of the United States, that asset cannot be transferred to your Trust. Foreign assets require consultation and additional estate planning in the country in which they are owned.

Whether you own out of State assets or out of Country assets, the attorneys at The Loftin Firm, P.C. can assist you with your California Trust.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Leading You Down the Path to Sucessful Legal Solutions
Loftin | Bedell P.C.

Loftin | Bedell P.C.
2540 Gateway Road
Carlsbad, California 92009

Toll Free: 866-933-2340
Phone: 760-814-9649
Fax: 760-431-2003
Map & Directions